Friday, March 13, 2015

The Funny Restaurant

There was a lot of hype around the new restaurant that had opened in the city. Apparently it had taken sarcasm to another level but customers seem to have been enjoying that.

Basically it had truth written all over its menu and people admired that. Plus, the taste and level of service was impeccable which had added to its quick success.

I was quite curious to see what the fuss was about. So I asked my colleague Vanita to join me so that we can go there and critique away to glory for our magazine.

As we entered, ‘hookup.com’ and ‘babytalk.com’ marked clear distinction between seating sections for singles and families, respectively. The waitresses were dressed as nurses or policemen depending on the kind of menu you wanted – high calorie or diet conscious that is. There was a weighing scale – don’t be guilty later - in the centre in case you were inclined to be served by the nurses on that particular day.

They didn’t have food items listed as appetisers or main course, it was all about ‘Are you a bore?’ or ‘I’m feeling adventurous’. Fries, nuggets, fried rice, butter chicken were all listed under the first section. With Le Pain Perdu and Char Kway Teow, ‘I’m feeling adventurous’ section left me with a loss of words.

I thought a few things were just a little over the top. The atmosphere was quirky, but why were people raving so much about it?

I ordered a hot chocolate from ‘Are you a bore’ section. The nurse looked at me and just smiled. I had no idea what it meant. I would be damned if she thought I was over-weight and should have called the police gal instead.

When my order arrived, I found it extremely sweet. ‘So, the place is nowhere close to what I’ve heard about it,’ I thought.

The nurse took the glass from me and came back with a bigger, better version of the beverage. On asking she explained, ‘It seemed miss, that the sugar wasn’t more like you thought it was. The milk was less and so we thought of upgrading your drink with a bigger version. Cheers.’

Impressed, I gave it the five stars and a huge smiley.

6 comments:

  1. Blog readers are bound to get confused if these 'incidents' are real or fiction, although the header mentions 'stories'. You might still want to mention 'short story' somewhere within each post, unless these are real, ie.

    Destination Infinity
    PS: This, and your other stories, are good. Looking forward to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for the advice. Although I have added a label at the end of each post, I'll see what else I can do about this.

      Delete
  2. You have a nice blog getting on its feet :) Liked the way of writing and the yellow letters on the blue background on the header looks beautiful. I would suggest an 'About-me' page so that readers can know more about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks! I'm thinking of remaining weird and anonymous for some time. So that about me page will take a while :)

      Delete
  3. This is interestingly sketched. I would agree with the first comment above. Better to tag the post as fiction or non-fiction, to avoid confusion :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for the suggestion, Shailaja. I've labeled it as fiction. I'm trying to figure out what would be a more clear way.

      Delete

Would love to hear both the GOOD and the bad!