Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Talking about our Son




To My Husband,

I am writing this after watching the story of one Nirbhaya of our country. When I saw this documentary today, I wanted to tell our son that he should never show us his face again. But then, whom are we kidding? It was probably us who raised him that way.

Do you remember that night when you came home from office and I had cooked okra? You never liked it. You threw your plate away and told me to prepare fresh sabzi for you. I should have known that our son was watching and he will learn to do the same.

When Sanjana, our neighbour’s daughter came to our house to play, we told our son that she was a girl and she would do household chores when she grows up. We told our son that he can be the doctor and she can be a cook. We told him that it was not a good habit for people to stay out of the house till late. This was more for apt for girls. Girls were indeed like precious flowers who needed protection.

I always told him that he was strong because he was a boy. I told him he should not beat girls because they were delicate. But when he saw you beat me, he totally misunderstood the concept it seems. He thought that it was for men to tell women what to do and what to avoid. He thought they were not only delicate physically but also frail mentally.

I left you and he always blamed me for our fights. He thought I was rebelling against culture and traditions and that women should not be disobedient. I never explained to him because I didn’t want him to go against his own father. I thought that by doing so I was teaching him how to respect his elders. It was all my fault.

Really, I should have known that it was all my doing. When he was going to study Law, you told him to get the best grades and become a successful lawyer. We never taught him about morals and values and right and wrong, we only talked about success. He did as he was told. He found the most talked about case and took the limelight.

But he supported the rapists. Not only that, he talked badly about women and what they should and shouldn’t do. I cringed when I saw him on Television. I felt awful that he was my blood. I felt terrible for the parents whom he was fighting against.

I know it was our fault. But how did we know this will happen? I raised him to the best of my ability but forgot to mention a few things. I wish there was a book on parenting which I could hand over to all future parents so that they don’t raise such sons.

I really wish we could do it all over again…

Your Wife.
 
This is a piece of fiction. Any resemblance to living or dead is purely coincidental.
Image source: here

4 comments:

  1. What the lawyers said was indeed horrific. Their education and upbringing is questionable. This was very apt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are spot on.If only the parents inculcated the right values in their children and lived lives as exemplars,such despicable things might not have happened with such shocking regularity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The documentary really made me look at the problems from a very different angle. We need values and education more than anything else. Parents, here, have to play a very big role.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear both the GOOD and the bad!